Monday, June 16, 2014

The unforced rhythms of grace...

So my Poor dude had a rough night...tested every nerve of patience I possess, and even more that I DON'T have after that. 


You see, every time he has an overnight visit down south, within 6 hours of getting him back, he has a meltdown, giving both of us the opportunity to re-establish the boundaries that I am the boss and he is not. With that discipline comes such a sweet time of repentance. Isaiah just transforms and becomes the amazing, sweet, compassionate, obedient child he was before I dropped him off just a day before. 


Yesterday was the exception. I picked him up, and he did WAY better right after than he has ever done before. Breathing a sigh of relief, I literally whispered to God, "Finally...we are getting more used to this." I can tell you this...there is nothing worse than seeing your child lash out, TRYING to get you to react so he can have some sense of stability and control. While it is comforting to know that you are safe enough and consistent enough to bring him back in, it's also heartbreaking. For a four year old, it's the difference between life and death. So anyways, I was pleased. I was happy that hopefully, for at least once during these visits, my child was not in a negative atmosphere. 


That all changed. We have been helping with one of my  friend's children's ministry on Monday nights. I received a text message this morning that outlined what the topic of teaching was going to be...the love of the Father. Of course, Isaiah chooses to have his meltdown right before the teaching started. I panicked. All sorts of emotions flooded over me. The main ones--sadness and embarrassment. Sadness because he still DID have his negative reaction...it wasn't absent. It was just delayed. Something felt different about the embarrassment though. In the heat of the moment, I couldn't place my finger on it.


Something magical happens when you step out of the frustration when you least feel like it and see it for what it really is--a chance to give peace and security.


After crying for what seemed like forever (it was actually probably only like 2 minutes), he finally broke. He quit fighting and just sobbed...clinging to me, saying that he missed me and that I was far away yesterday. It took everything I had to not fall apart. 


When I got home,  I just started dwelling on this. I got to thinking: how often do we go do something out of our normal lives? Maybe it's something that has developed into a habit. Maybe it's something that we have grown comfortable with and don't realize that it affects us. Other people can see...but we can't. Or maybe we can. Maybe we feel what I felt when I couldn't identify where the embarrassment stemmed from. It didn't take long for me to figure out that embarrassment was a disguise. What the true feeling was is that of condemnation. 


When we feel condemned, how many can admit that it is not the default to turn to God? I know for one that it is not mine. My flesh would like nothing more than to make excuses and just feel sorry for myself...have my little venting sessions that don't solve anything but to pull me deeper into "piety" and validation. But that's the great thing about God. He doesn't care what your flesh wants. He will keep providing those little whispers and little convictions to bring us to our knees and see things as they really are. I'm so fortunate that He has brought me to a place where I hate not listening. I hate the life that I live on my own. Yet I love the life I have when I'm listening to His voice. 


The best part of God is His safety. If we obey and listen to what He is speaking, we have the security to just fall apart on Him. To spill our guts and tell Him WHY we have been doing our own thing. And the safest part? He already knows. 😄 He knows the blackest parts of our hearts, yet He--the Creator of the Universe!--takes time to sit with ME...stroke my hair. Whisper words of comfort to me...My grace is sufficient for you! My strength is made perfect in your weakness! And As far as the east is from the west, so far have your sins been removed from you. 


And just when I am falling apart, He pulls me back in through his gentle discipline and peaceful security and grace. 

No comments: